Moving is an exciting time, even in the sweltering heat of summer. Summer is the most common time to move during the year, with half of all moves in the United States taking place between May and August. Flannery’s Handymen has some tips for moving effectively during this busy time.
Leave plenty of time to plan. If you are using a moving company or renting a truck, you should make reservations at least six weeks out from your planned date. The earlier you book, the more likely you are to get the dates you want without running into overbooking conflicts. If you try to schedule any closer to the date you plan on moving, you run the risk of everyone being booked solid.
Make sure you stay hydrated. It will be hot and you will be moving a lot of heavy boxes and furniture. Make sure to take breaks and drink plenty of water. Make sure to offer your movers breaks, water and lunch as well. They have probably worked several jobs in a row and will appreciate it. The first thing you should do when you get to your new home is turn on the AC to get the cool air flowing through the house, a nice break from the outdoors.
Make plans for your kids and pets on moving day. Your yard will see a lot of foot traffic as furniture is moved in and out of your home, and there won’t be a specific place in the house that will be left alone on moving day. Find a kennel or pet daycare nearby your new home, or see if a friend or sitter can take your pets for the day with your children.
If you are moving this summer and are looking for professional help, Flannery’s Handymen is more than happy to help! We would be happy to schedule a moving date that works for your needs. Contact us today by calling 781-775-9943 or by filling out our online contact form.
Throughout the years, the compulsive disorder of hoarding has gained more and more attention and is really opening people’s eyes for the problem that it is. Images of hoarded homes usually shock most people, but will still need to draw attention to the actual dangers that come with it. Hoarding can harm, not only the hoarder, but relatives, neighbors and friends as well.
Dangers of Hoarding
- In extreme hoarding situations, there are many concerns of bacteria and disease spreading throughout the property. A hoarder’s property makes for the perfect host for producing bacteria and disease because of the deteriorating items like food, trash and in some cases, human waste. While having an excessive amount of mold and dust might not sound that bad, it can affect your breathing and cause harm to your respiratory system.
- There are various things that can contribute to physical danger in a hoarder’s property. One of the most serious dangers are fires because there are many flammable materials being held onto. I most cases, if there is a fire, all of the hoarded items will be blocking any exits or pathways that make it safe for residents to exit. With all of these items comes an increase in weight on floors and the foundation of the home or property. Because of this, floors are more susceptible to cave in from the strain, which can cause a ripple effect to any support beams. One of the most common types of physical danger are falling hazards since there are items stacked everywhere.
- For anyone that knows a hoarder, they can be affect directly if they are living in the home as well. Living with a hoarder can leave, both, emotion and mental scars from the experience. Isolation of the hoarder can also occur. At first, they may have been functioning fine in social situations, but as the hoarding progresses, the feelings of shame and embarrassment can be too much, resulting in less time in society. When a hoarder isolates themselves in their home, their mental state can become even more serious.
If you or someone you know are struggling with hoarding tendencies, Flannery’s Handymen can help. We have years of experience of cleaning and recycling any unwanted items that might be taking up space in your Nahant home or property. To learn more about our hoarding cleanup services, give us a call at 781-775-9943 or by filling out our online form.
While packing is one of the most important aspects of a move, sometimes it slips our minds and we’re left scrambling to get things packed! If you have procrastinated your Nahant move and need to get your stuff together quickly, don’t fret! Flannery’s Handymen have put together some tips for all your last-minute packers out there.
- Take the time to slow down and get organized before you begin packing so it will save you time later on. If you are moving to a smaller home, reference our tips to help ease the stress!
- Think of all the moves you have helped family and friends with…well now it’s their turn! Call in a favor and round up some helpers to get the job done quicker. Have some pizza and drinks on hand to keep your helpers motivated!
- You may think you have boxes for packing laying around, but just to be on the safe side, run out and grab your packing equipment before the actual packing occurs. Be sure to get boxes, tape, bubble wrap and markers so all of your boxes will be correctly marked.
- As you begin to pack, create a box for donations, a pile for garbage, etc. There’s no point in packing and bringing things to your new home that you are just going to get rid of once they are unpacked.
- Keep a few days’ worth of clothes set to the side so that you don’t have to dig through boxes looking for clothes as you settle in. As for the rest of your clothes, pack into boxes or nylon bags and be done with them!
Don’t let packing stress you out during your move! Be a stead ahead of the game and plan out your upcoming move including moving services with Flannery Handymen. To receive a quote, contact us at 781-775-9943 or by filling out our online form.
With the winter weather hopefully leaving us soon, spring will be here before we know it! Spring means warmer temperatures and it’s a great time to schedule your next move! Flannery’s Handymen has put together a few benefits for a spring move.
- The most popular times to move are during the months of June, July and August, which means there will be fewer people trying to move during the spring month. Summer is a popular time to move because children are out of school and people have a lot more time on their hands. Because summer is typically the time to move, moving companies, like Flannery’s, have a more flexible schedule and available dates and won’t have as many clients.
- When it comes to moving, spring has the best weather for it! It’s warm, but not too warm, the sun is shining and the snow is all melted. Spring temperatures make it perfect for all the moving and hauling of boxes and furniture that come with moving.
- Spring break is an excellent time to move if you’re a family with children. You’ve got a full week to move and the weekends if you need it! This means plenty of time to pack, unpack and get organized as you get comfortable in your new home.
For Marblehead, Lynnfield & Nahant residents who are interested in our moving services, contact the expert movers at Flannery’s Handymen. We are happy to answer any of your questions or provide you with a free estimate! Contact us today by calling us at 781-775-9943 or by filling out our online form.
Studies show that as many as 1 out of every 300 people suffer from obsessive hoarding. While it’s a topic that we’re much more aware about, thanks to TV and the news, it doesn’t mean you’ll know what to fully expect. For anyone that has been assigned to cleaning a hoarder’s house or has recently bought a home previously owned by a hoarder, there are various hazards that you can be opened up to. Flannery’s Handymen has outlined a few below:
Hoarders are inclined to constantly gather items, sometimes, piling them as high as the home’s rooms will permit. When it comes time to clean the home, these towers of items can present as a danger since there is a good chance of debris falling. To avoid any harmful danger, create a plan to remove any items that will be easiest to eliminate. Once you’re finished with the easier items, you should have enough room to move out some of the more difficult items.
Homes with hoarded items will usually attract rodents like rats and mice. This makes cleaning a dangerous situation because they can be the carriers of dangerous diseases. Hantavirus is a respiratory illness that rodents have been known to carry, which can be fatal. A hoarded home with rodents can also turn into a bio-hazard job because of the buildup of waste. If you see signs of an infestation, contact the professionals to remove it.
If there is any structural damage to your home, hoarding items can hide it. The weight of the stacks of items can weaken your home’s floors over time. These stacks can also hide or disguise mold or water damage, which may result in the need for remediation or reconstruction services. Not only can mold be dangerous to your home, but it always poses a threat to the occupant’s health.
In the event of an emergency, you put yourself in danger trying to exit your home. Since hoarders have the habit of filling every room, this makes it difficult and dangerous for emergency workers to reach you in a crisis.
To most, a hoarding cleanup sounds like you just need to go through each room and throw things away, but they can be much more complicated than this. To keep yourself and family members safe, it’s best to leave these types of jobs to the professionals. If you are in need of hoarding cleanup professionals, contact Flannery’s Handymen today. We will provide you a free estimate by calling us at 781-775-9943 or by filling out our online contact form.
Transitioning from a home in the suburbs to a crowded apartment in the city can be a difficult task. While it would be ideal to pack up and take all of your belongings, there isn’t a very good chance that everything will fit into your smaller space. Flannery’s Handymen has a few tips to help you to utilize your new space without too much clutter.
- As you prepare to move, you’re going to want to make a measurement list. This list should include various measurements of your new home. From wall lengths and widths to ceiling heights, you want to gather any measurements you may need. Next, measure the furniture you plan to move with you and jot down the dimensions. If you own bulky or large pieces, you may want to invest in some smaller items. Be sure to check your stairwells to ensure that everything will be able to make it through!
- Invest in multipurpose furniture that can offer you more than one purpose in your apartment. If you purchase these items wisely, you’ll not only save apartment space, but you can save money too. For example, when purchasing a TV stand, look for one with built-in shelves or drawers for additional storage. Another great multipurpose piece of furniture is a bed frame with built-in storage. You can store anything from pieces of clothing to extra bedding or sheets here.
- One of the best ways to utilize space in your apartment is to install shelves. When you don’t have enough space to add a bookcase, shelves are the way to go!
- One of the biggest issues we find in apartment bedrooms is the closet door. Typically, the door will swing outward and can prevent you from adding an additional piece of furniture. Reach out to your landlord and see if they’d be willing to install a bi-fold or sliding door instead. Another option is to just completely take the door off and hang up a curtain instead.
- While it’s easier said than done, the best way to maximize your smaller apartment is to get rid of things! You may still have trophies from middle school or a high school sweatshirt, but ask yourself, when’s the last time you used those things? For items that are sentimental and you can’t bear to part with permanently, consider storing them in our U-Fill storage container!
Without correctly de-cluttering, your new, smaller space is only going to seem smaller. If you have an upcoming move and are interested in our moving or storage services, contact Flannery’s Handymen today! Fill out our online contact form or call us at 781-775-9943 for your free estimate.
For homeowners that are looking to downsize or are moving and need to temporary store their belongings, a U-Fill storage container is a great option for you. When it comes to storing your items, you want to be sure that you are storing them correctly. If not stored correctly, you run the risk of your belongings being ruined. Here are a few items that you want to be sure are stored correctly:
- If not kept in a temperature controlled space, leather furniture can submit to deterioration. Because this type of furniture is expensive, you want to be sure it’s being stored properly.
- To keep your wooden furniture looking good as new, you need a unit where the temperature won’t vary. This is especially true for antique pieces.
- Larger appliances, like washers, dryers or refrigerators, that require an outlet are another type of item that needs to be properly stored. When temperatures fluctuate, mold can easily grow on these appliances and negatively affect the wiring.
- Any collectible items, like coins, stamps, etc., should be stored in a unit where the temperature won’t affect them.
There are various other types of items that, if not stored correctly, will be ruined or damaged. If you’re unsure how to store your belongings or would like more information on our U-Fill storage containers, contact Flannery’s Handymen today! We can be reached by calling 781-775-9943 or by filling out our online contact form.
While it may be cheaper to move yourself, it can be more hazardous to not only yourself, but your home and belongings too. Read today’s blog from Flannery’s Handymen on why it is more beneficial to hire a professional when it comes to moving!
If you’re unsure of how to move certain types of furniture of boxes, moving on your own can put a serious strain on your body. Because you’re not a professional, your body isn’t used to moving this way and it can feel drained and tired as a result. It can also result in back or knee injuries if you aren’t careful!
For most possessions, there is a certain way they should be packed to avoid any damage. For example, your dishware should be wrapped and packed upright and you should never lay your plasma TV down. If you’re uncertain of how things need to be packed, you can do more damage than good.
Damage to Your Home
Depending on the type of flooring you have, you may need specific protection when it comes to moving your furniture. A professional moving company will have this material that allows furniture and dollies to easily move about. You don’t want to be left without a security deposit because you damaged your home as you were moving out!
Along with your home, moving on your own can cause damage to your car or truck. You can be left with scrapes on the outside and rips in your upholstery if you are not careful.
While it may seem more beneficial to move on your own, you should really compare the pros and cons before you make your decision. If you’d like to schedule the professionals at Flannery’s Handymen for your next move, contact us today! We are happy to provide you with a free estimate by calling us at 781-775-9943 or by filling out our online contact form.
Cleaning out your garage is a task that never seems to get done, but now that winter is here, it’s a great time to check it off your list! You’re going to want to not only store your snow blower in there, but also your car to prevent any wintery damage. Lucky for Nahant and surrounding homeowners, Flannery’s Handymen offers professional clean out and junk removal services and are here with a few tips!
- The first step when cleaning out your garage is going through all of your items. Organize them into the following categories: keeping, donating and throwing away. Once this is completed, your clean out company will know what to do which each specific item.
- To prevent belongings from becoming disorganized, find an appropriate spot and store them away. Using shelves and cabinets is a great way to keep items organized. If you have larger items that need to be stored, but you don’t have a spot for them, consider a U-Fill storage unit!
- Now that you’ve organized and stored your belongings, contact your local clean out company to take care of the heavy-duty work! From electronics to trash, Flannery’s Handymen can remove it all!
The professionals at Flannery’s Handymen are happy to provide Nahant and surrounding towns with our junk removal and garage clean out services. To receive a free estimate, fill out our online contact form or call us at 781-775-9943.
For some, finding the perfect junk removal company can be tough! Unlike Dunkin’ Donuts or a supermarket, this type of handyman service isn’t used or talked about all that constantly. The professionals at Flannery’s Handymen are here to lend a helping hand when it comes to choosing the right junk removal company for you.
Typically, people will have their own opinion when it comes to the customer service of a company, but here is what we look for and provide ourselves:
- Ways to contact We offer various ways to get in touch with our company. From our telephone number to an online contact form, clients are also encouraged to reach out via social media, like Facebook.
- An updated website Flannery’s is constantly updating our website so that potential customers know the various services that we offer.
- Availability Our customers are our #1 priority when it comes to our services. We want to ensure that when we provide an available a date, it works for you and we deliver our promise of service on that date.
Depending on the junk removal service you’re looking for, you want to ensure that the company you’re hiring will be able to complete the task at hand. Removing a couple bags of clothes and demoing an entire room are completely different, but we are a company that is capable of both!
Flannery’s Handymen come fully equipped with junk removal trucks and vow to leave no piece of junk behind.
If you come across junk removal services at a crazy, cheap price, you must assume you’ll be getting what you pay for. At Flannery’s Handymen, we provide a quote on all our services to ensure you’re receiving a fair price before the job has even started.
If you’re unable to ask around about the company, look online at their reviews. The team at Flannery’s is constantly receiving 5 star reviews and it truly shows how dedicated we are to not only the work we do, but the customers we serve!
We hope that we could help when it comes to choosing a trusting and reliable junk removal company. For customers that are interested in our handyman or junk removal services, receive your free estimate today! Flannery’s Handymen can be reached by calling 781-775-9943 or by filling out our online contact form.